WDTN Interview

Thursday, June 30, 2011

One week to go!

Monday I head off to Florida.  I will spend some time visiting family before heading to Orlando.

It has been an interesting couple of days.  I received an email from WXIX Channel 19 in Cincinnati on Tuesday while I was out on a golf course.  They wanted to do a little story on their evening news and asked me to send a photo.  Luckily I was able to download one from my Facebook page on my cell phone and email it.  They showed the story again on the late news and I saw it then.  They did a good job.  I had a few people contact me after the story...some I work with who I didn't know personally.  Here is the print version: http://hamilton-middletown.fox19.com/news/events/hamilton-man-invited-space-shuttle-launch-next-week/72343

One of my coworkers forwarded the story to our GM...and it made its way to our communications group.  It looks like my story will be featured on our company intranet home page.

This morning I received a call from WDTN television in Dayton requesting an interview.  I will be doing this tomorrow morning.  I am used to the other side of the camera so all of this is a new experience.  I hope at the end of the day, people will appreciate the space program and hopefully we will return someday in my lifetime. I am excited for the launch, but expect a huge letdown after it is over, knowing that it won't ever happen again.  I felt a similar feeling a few years ago when I went to the USAF Museum in Dayton to witness the final flight of the C141.  The last aircraft flying departed Wright-Patterson AFB, did some fly-overs and then landed on the closed dilapidated runway at the museum.  This is a runway where one an aircraft lands it never flies again...it was the end of an era.  The shuttle will be like this amplified...a bittersweet day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment