WDTN Interview

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Time to revive the blog...

Wow, I have ignored this blog for almost a year...that's pretty bad.


I have a couple pretty exciting events coming up and I plan to use this platform for updates...and hopefully some good photos!


A couple weeks ago, I saw a tweet about a "NASA Tweetup" where 150 Twitter followers would be selected to attend a 2 day event at the Kennedy Space Center for the final space shuttle launch, Atlantis, STS-135.  All you had to do was register for the contest.  Well, I never win anything, but figured, why not?  I have vacation days available...heck I should get down there no matter what since I have never seen a launch and this is the very last chance to EVER see one.


Friday afternoon, I received the following message in my email: 

Congratulations, you have been selected to attend the NASA Tweetup on July 7-8 for space shuttle Atlantis' targeted launch at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida! The event will provide you the opportunity to speak with shuttle technicians, engineers, astronauts, and managers, and to experience the launch of space shuttle Atlantis to the International Space Station.


First thought...holy crap, I actually got selected!  Then I started getting Facebook and Twitter messages and follows from others among the 150 who were selected out of a total of 5500 entries.  Now I am in the mode of figuring out the best travel plans.  The shuttle doesn't exactly have a good track record of launching as scheduled after all.  


I started learning more about what this NASA Tweetup will include...here is a map showing where I will get to see the launch. Tweetup Map

I may look into renting a longer lens, but I am not sure it will make a significant difference...even though I will be in the closest viewing area possible (it is the same location used by the media), it is still 3 miles away.  I am sure lighting and the brightness of the engines and SRBs will prove to be a challenge too!


In September, I will be off to Nicaragua to visit the kids I sponsor through Compassion International.  I have met one of them, who is now 16 years old.  It will be bittersweet as this will likely be the last time I see him as he will graduate from the program next year.  I have sponsored him since he was 8 years old.  More to follow on that.


On the photography front, I was able to visit a bald eagle nest last week with tow good looking eaglets standing tall in the nest.  I would like to get back out there in a couple weeks as they will be fledging soon.  I hope to get some pictures of the exercising their wings and doing some branch hopping.  The adults were close by as well.  I never tire of seeing eagles.


The bird activity has slowed as we enter summer...migrants have moved on and the days have been very hot.  I will continue to post images to Facebook and Flickr

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment