WDTN Interview

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Two Weeks to Launch

I still find it hard to believe that in two weeks I will be in Florida to witness the final launch of the space shuttle.  While I am excited to witness this, I am sad that this is the end of the space shuttle program.  It has been pretty amazing to see how this group of around 150 strangers are becoming friends even before we all meet through the powers of social media like Twitter and Facebook.

I have friends that tell me how 'stupid' these social media tools are and that they would never be a part of it.  While there are some real issues out there, my experience has been quite different.  I have reconnected with many old high school friends, most whom I have not seen in nearly 30 years.  I have also reconnected with a part of my family that I had not seen in many years...and met cousins whom I had not met.  Without Facebook, I don't know that this would have happened.

Now through Twitter, I get to have an experience that will be shared by only 150 other people.  Doesn't seem to stupid to me.

For my fellow tweetup participants who may be seeing my blog for the first time, here is a little about me.  I am originally from western New York state and now reside near Cincinnati, after stops in Pittsburgh (for college) and Hartford.  I have always loved aviation.  As a kid I would spend hours in the front yard with binoculars looking skyward at the aircraft flying over.  A major east/west jetway passed over our house.  I was enamored by the Boeing 747...and frankly still am.  Just imagine how much I like the shuttle carrier aircraft :)

I wanted to fly...unfortunately I was also nearsighted.  My eyesight disqualified me from a life as a commercial pilot.  I decided that if I can't fly them, I want to build them.  I earned a mechanical engineering degree and took a job at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft.  I spent time working on JT8D engines for the MD-80 and also some military fighter jet engines.  After three years there, I headed west to Ohio for a job with GE Aircraft Engines.  Spent some time there before I was laid off, but eventually made my way back.  During my off time, I managed a family business dealing in art and custom picture framing.  I was excited to discover the world of aviation art and had the opportunity to meet several artists.  One artist that stands out is Alan Bean...an Apollo astronaut who walked on the moon.  What other artist can depict space flight better than bean - he has actually been there!  One other cherished memory was meeting General Paul Tibbets, pilot of the Enola Gay.  Hearing about the mission directly from the man...amazing.

Lately my focus has turned to photography.  I have always loved wildlife...and photographing wildlife is a challenge I really enjoy.  It is basically hunting without killing (not that I am anti-hunting...I am just anti-me hunting).  Being in Ohio, my wildlife search is pretty much focused on birds.  I have discovered a nice population of bald eagles locally that I never tire of seeing.



We also have osprey...and the interaction of an osprey with a freshly caught fish being harassed by a bald eagle intent on stealing said fish is a sight to behold.  Probably my favorite bird to shoot after the eagle is the wood duck.  Just amazing color as you can see here.


One other thing I am passionate about is the ministry of Compassion International (http://www.compassion.com).  Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults.  Founded by the Rev. Everett Swanson in 1952, Compassion began providing Korean War orphans with food, shelter, education and health care, as well as Christian training.

Today, Compassion helps more than 1.2 million children in 26 countries.  I have traveled with Compassion to Nicaragua twice and have met one child I sponsor.  I have seen the difference we can make in a child's life with my own two eyes...in fact, I was only sponsoring one child when I visited for the first time in 2006.  Today I sponsor 6 kids in Nicaragua and one in India.  If you want to learn more, please contact me directly.  If you would like to make the difference in the life of a child living in abject poverty, please click this link: http://www.compassion.com/sponsor/index.asp?referer=47990

I know some people think "why should we worry about other countries, we should help our own first."  I am not going to argue this point, but I will say this - I think it is wonderful you want to help someone in need in this country.  I hope you follow through with it, I think it is great that you care for others.  I am thankful people are felt led to make a difference in their world, whether it be in the US or elsewhere.  The important thing is that those who have been blessed can give back to those in need...in whatever way they feel led to do.

I am looking forward to the Tweetup...flight, hotel and now the media credential process are all set...just need Atlantis and mother nature to do their part!

1 comment:

  1. Note, you can click on the photos to see a larger version.

    ReplyDelete